Who else feels like it has been ages since they had a proper vacation? Don’t you just miss the feeling of sand underneath your feet, the view of swaying palm trees, and the excitement of crashing waves?
Unless you live by the beach or on an island, these things are hard to come by without taking a trip to somewhere fancy and exotic. As appealing as island vacations are, they are not easy to handle or plan. The more remote, alluring, and untouched the island, the more difficult it is to vacation on.
If you want a smooth and trouble-free vacation, you need to decide what you want to do while you’re there, and learning some savvy tips can make everything a lot easier.
Some Islands That Will Get Your Toes Itching To Go On Vacation
- Bora Bora: This island in northwestern French Polynesia is a vision of everything luxurious and exotic. As seen in photos and brochures, it might appear too expensive to consider, but you will be surprised to learn that you can vacation there on a budget. Bora Bora trip cost can shrink considerably if you plan and budget it right.
- Koh Phi Phi: This island is the largest of a group of islands in Thailand. It also happens to be one of the most expensive islands on earth. But, similar to Bora Bora, research, planning, and budgeting is the key to shrinking the costs.
- The Azores: This group of islands in Portugal is everything you can ask for on a tropical island in Europe! One of the most beautiful places on earth, a trip here would be to die for.
- Aruba: Aruba is one of the gems of the Atlantic Ocean, and even as the entirety of the Caribbean is worth a visit, it is pretty high up that list.
- Santorini: Different from any island you will ever see, Santorini is the closest to paradise you can get on earth. This island is a must-visit location when vacationing in Greece.
Top Tips for Your Island Getaway
Research & Planning is Everything
Whether it is the food or accommodation, you must start planning after picking your dream island getaway. After you choose the location, the next thing is deciding where to stay.
If the area is large, and you plan to stay in more than one location, decide on your various accommodations before heading off for your vacation.
Do enough research to find out as much as you can about how much money it will take to enjoy your vacation. Accommodation, food and beverage, transportation, and activities are often your main expenditures. After those are taken care of, there is the cost of shopping for souvenirs and gifts and other miscellaneous expenses. Budgeting ensures that you don’t overspend or run out of cash in the middle of the vacation.
Planning ahead of the trip will ease your stress so that you get to enjoy your vacation.
Remember to Take Your Necessities
- You can call packing an art form. It takes planning and strategy to pack right for your vacation.
- There is a thin line between overpacking and not taking enough stuff, and getting it right is not easy.
- Make a list of things you can’t do without.
- When it comes to clothes, pack according to the days you will spend on vacation. Choose some regular clothes, swimsuits, sleepwear, some extra outfits in case you need them, and enough undergarments. Try to find the balance between overpacking and underpacking clothes.
- You must remember to take all your essentials for two reasons.
- One, the more exotic a location, the less chance that your necessities will be available.
- Two, some vacation locations are really expensive for foreigners. You might have to pay double or triple the amount you would pay regularly for even basic things.
- Instead of taking that chance, pack wisely and well.
- Remember to take your necessities like medicine, first aid stuff, toiletries, charger, bug repellent, beach bag, picnic blanket, sunscreen, etc.
- Sunscreen is a must for almost any vacation, so always carry enough to protect yourself and your loved ones.
Understanding the Climate
Understanding the climate is crucial when it comes to island vacations. Most vacation islands have tropical weather, so you almost always get plenty of sun and humidity.
Do enough research to understand what kind of weather you will find yourself in during vacation. This will decide what kind of fabric to take, whether you will need umbrellas, and other items you might need during your vacation. Some people are more sensitive to a change in climate than others, and they might need medication or supplements to stay healthy. Hence, researching the climate is vital for island getaways.
Be Aware Of What You Are Getting Yourself Into
Some exotic places are a lot less safe than others. When you come to an unfamiliar place where people speak a different language, it is easy to accidentally get into trouble.
Some research will help you figure out what you are getting yourself into. For example, some areas in Thailand and Jamaica have a higher crime rate, so knowing about them will help you avoid falling into a trap and endangering yourself and your family.
There are plenty of criminals and extortionists who prey on tourists in vacation spots, so be aware of things that can happen. You will find plenty of tourist hubs online where people have shared their experiences, so it might help you avoid trouble.
Visiting the beach is a must during island getaways, and chances are you might spend 70 percent of your time on the beach. Have a plan for protecting your valuables while you’re in the water. You might want to lock your valuables in your luggage or a hotel room safe before heading to the beach.
Learn About Transportation Beforehand
Make sure to learn about transportation availability and timing of ferries, trains, or buses. Decide on your possible transportation modes and expenditure before heading on vacation.
If you can’t find enough information online, ask around or talk to your travel agent. If you can’t figure out anything about transportation before you are on vacation, ask about transportation first thing when you get to the hotel. Communicate with some locals and learn about places where you want to go and how to get there.
Know Where To Eat
An important and exciting aspect of traveling and exploring around the world is food. The more exotic the location, the more different and interesting the food is likely to be.
Some people end up taking all of their meals at the hotel they are staying at. This can often be expensive and might not give you the chance to try authentic local cuisine. When you choose the location for your island getaway, research the traditional food options and look for reviews of local restaurants.
Try to make the most out of your trip. Try out many different eating venues and explore as much of the foreign cuisine as possible to make the trip worthwhile, but make sure the place conforms to local cleanliness standards. Remember to look out for allergies or food limitations, if you have any.
Always Stay Prepared
You never know what might happen during vacation. You or one of your loved ones or friends might fall ill. You might become a victim of a robbery, theft, accident, etc. This is why it is crucial to be prepared for everything.
It is easy to get carried away while having fun, but staying constantly vigilant is important. Think of ways you can maximize safety during vacation and don’t keep all your money in one place.
Don’t Forget to Have Fun
Staying careful does not mean you shouldn’t have fun. Fun is the most vital part of your island getaway. Try out fun activities while at the beach, visit different sites and tourist locations, taste different cuisines, and get as many fun and happy experiences as possible.
Island getaways are the best type of vacations you can go to. Make sure to plan and budget ahead, pack properly, stay safe, and have plenty of fun while on vacation.