Chiang Mai Elephant Sanctuary (Half Day)
Elephants and Thailand are almost synonymous, so it’s only natural you’ll want to spend time with elephants on your backpacking trip! Unfortunately, not all elephants are treated well, so we’ve partnered with Chiang Mai Elephant Home to bring you an ethical elephant tour. You’ll be able to get up close and personal with the elephants, bathing and feeding them without having to worry if they’re being treated with TLC. 😊
Morning: Depart around 7AM, back at the hostel 1PM
Afternoon: Depart 12PM, back at the hostel 6PM
What To Bring:
- Small Towel
- Expect to get covered in mud and soaked in river water!
- Feel free to ask as many questions as you want – you can even learn about each elephant’s history and background.
- Embrace local fashion – traditional kaftan ponchos in bright colors are available for everyone on the tour.
- Be careful with your electronics and bring a waterproof case / bag if possible.
- Most elephants aren’t camera-shy but don’t be pushy about it. Elephants have a range of emotions just like us and some won’t want to be photographed.
- Keep in mind that many of the elephants living in the sanctuary have been rescued from hard labor and poor treatment. While they’re in a better place now, it’s a form of rehabilitation for them.
- Above all else, be respectful of both the elephants and staff!